Monday 4 May 2015

April Wrap Up



Favourites

-          Wonderlanders Macro Monday (which you can see here), this pretty much never fails to make me chuckle. It’s one of the best parts of Monday.
-          Easter long weekend. Because it’s a public holiday the entire university is closed, means us phD students get time off too! And it was even pretty nice weather, which was awesome.
-          Blogs: Hayley @ Tea Party Beauty, Corrine @ Skinned Cartree, Becky @ Becky Bedbug
-          Daredevil on Netflix was really good, did anyone else watch it? I’m hoping some of Marvel’s other Netflix shows will be good. Speaking of Marvel, Avengers Age of Ultron is blood brilliant! There was one plotline I disliked, and Scarlet Witch’s accent was wobbly but damnit I don’t even care.
-          Tirar A Deguello – I’ve mentioned ASMR on here a couple of times, but this guy is really amazing. He has a great voice and mixes ASMR and paranormal really well, creative but not as “out there” and experimental as Ephemeral Rift (who oftens gets too weird for me).

Dislikes

-          The loud people who appear to have moved into my building, I assume these are also the people who overfill the blooming bins
-          The weather turned! It was so nice and now I’m being hailstoned on. I hope it picks up again, otherwise I will literally freeze my backside off at my conventions. My costume choices have not been the warmest… (Poison Ivy and Zatanna for reference)

Watched

- Banshee Chapter 4/5 really weird and creepy, well made and well written
- Mockingjay 5/5 love these films, Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer 2/5, just sayin’ the new F4 film better be ore impressive than this…
- Kinsey 5/5 I thought it was a fascinating film, and the Kinsey Institute didn’t seem to have anything horrible to say about it being entirely inaccurate so that’s a plus (I don’t know anything really about Alfred Kinsey and only a little about his research). Honestly I really liked it.
- Lucy 4/5 – pretty good, aside from the whole “10% of your brain” fallacy. If you can ignore that it’s a fairly clever action packed film, plus I do love Scarlet Johansson.

Read

- The Ruins – 3/5. I think I liked the film better. This was an audiobook but it felt slow and dragging for quite a while, and the characters were all so annoying and most of them were damn stupid (it made them human, but also annoying). Suddenly things ramped up then everything escalated really quickly and it was over so fast.
- Choose Your Own Autobiography – Neil Patrick Harris 4/5. Again, audiobook (a fair bit was lost because I did it this way, but I’m stuck). It was fun learning a lot more about NPH’s life, but sometimes it just felt super name-droppy.
- The Genesis Effect – 4/5 (Kindle First book) this was actually really good if you’re into mutant - viruses and apocalyptic stories. There were a couple of clever twists that I didn’t expect, though I will make the disclaimer here that I was taking forever to read because I’ve been busy so I can’t 100% guarantee someone reading faster wouldn’t see them either. I think had I just been able to sit down and read for long periods it wouldn’t have taken me too long, but it was good.

I’ve also been reading the DC Convergence run, and a couple of the spin offs (Suicide Squad, Swamp Thing, Harley Quinn). They’re mostly pretty good, the main series is obviously the furthest along and as such has the most story, the others I’ll reserve judgement on until I’ve read both halves but in general I’d been happy.

Awesome Words

panoply, n      
1. a wide-ranging and impressive array or display
2. a complete suit of armor.

obnubilate, v.
trans. To darken, dim, cover, or hide with or as with a cloud; to obscure, render indistinct. Freq. fig.

polyglot, adj.
1. containing, composed of, or written in several languages
2. able to speak or write several languages

galenical, n.
1. an herb or other vegetable drug, distinguished from a mineral or chemical drug.
2. a crude drug, tincture, or decoction, distinguished from a preparation that has been refined.

argot, n.
1. the special vocabulary and idiom of a particular profession or social group 
2. a specialized idiomatic vocabulary peculiar to a particular class or group of people, especially that of an underworld group, devised for private communication and identification

atticism, n
1. concise and elegant expression, diction, or the like. 
2. the style or idiom of Attic Greek occurring in another dialect or language.

vexillology, n.
The study of flags.

simulacrum, n.
1. a slight, unreal, or superficial likeness or semblance. 
2. an effigy, image, or representation

veridical, adj.
1. truthful; veracious. 
2. corresponding to facts; not illusory; real; actual; genuine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, I really appreciate everything you guys have to say and I shall endeavour to reply as soon as I can! If you need a swifter reply please feel free to email ohtofeelpretty@gmail.com or contact me on twitter @katiefrank_x